CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 15, 2010

Loss

Recent events happening in Haiti have sparked a global cause. Help is being sent, donations are flowing in from every corner of the earth, all for an area that has suffered loss. I don't know about you, but I think its beautiful.


Sometimes (in fact, most of the time) these things happen, and we constantly question our God, "If You, O Lord, are so gracious, why do You allow all these things to happen?"

I have been asking God that same question too. A certain friend of mine had recently suffered a crushing loss of her sister, in an accident right outside my taman. Why, God?

Although I didn't know her sister, nor was very close to that friend, I felt the impact of the loss, too. Just a few hours before her death, a friend of mine had told me in tuition that she had gotten involved in an accident, and her sister was in a critical condition. I didn't think much of it; brushed it off and continued with my tuition.

What would have happened if i prayed? Would things have changed?

Did she die in vain?


The answer is no. Through her death, the next morning's prayer meeting was the most spiritual one so far. People who had never prayed out loud, cried out to God in sorrow and anguish. Even people who weren't directly involved broke down in tears. "Our God...is too awesome," thats what kept on flashing in my mind. "Though He brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love." - Lamentations 3:32

God takes loss and turns it into something beautiful. As for me, I've learned to be alert, spiritually, never neglecting even a small prompting to pray. We never know when or what that minute prayer can do.

This morning, my alarm woke me up at 8am. I ignored it and hit the snooze button, which caused the alarm to sound 9 minutes later. When I woke up, I realized, how many people have died in those 9 minutes? What prayer could have been done to help them? For our God listens to each one of us; He stays close to us, waiting for us to turn to Him. Before the day of the accident, Daniel and I were praying for an increase in the spirituality of the CF members. God answered that prayer, albeit not in a way we would have desired.

Lets pray. But lets also remember, as my pastor had preached about a few weeks back, that with blessings and gifts come responsibility. The more we are given, the more we are expected to work. So if anyone were to put you down by saying prayer is futile/hypocritical, perfect your faith through works as Paul had commanded.

As for the people in Haiti, God has spread a worldwide lesson, and many have learned from it. We always have a second chance, whether we appreciate it or not. Lets turn back to our God...forever giving thanks that He is gracious and faithful and loving and caring and patient and good.

All these things are only for a little while.

0 comments: